’n’ Things

A seemingly random compilation of web bits

Hateful People 7.12.05

My generation is a fairly tolerant one – polls have shown that we’re accepting of gays and wouldn’t mind gay marriage, that race is not an issue, and that religion doesn’t decide friendships.

But what of the few bad grapes in the bunch? There’s a guy who sits next to me in my Literature class who is homophobic and a racist. I overheard him tell somebody that he got fired for calling a gay customer a “damn fag” to his face; this made more sense when he told me that he spent his first ten years of education at a Baptist school, so obviously he has religious reasons for hating homosexuals. I’ve also overheard him say that every Mexican in the U.S. should be deported back to Mexico, and he refers to blacks by the n-word (not to a black person’s face, of course, but whenever he’s talking to someone else).

Problem is, he’s been trying to befriend me, which makes me terribly uncomfortable. Whenever I’m talking to him, all I can think of is all the hate under that fairly unassuming exterior. It’s so difficult to pretend that I don’t know or that I don’t care, because I do – because I know that it’s people like him who find ways to press their views on the world and make a shithole of it all.

On the Internet, you can lay these kind of people out, expose them for who they are, and at least try to knock some sense into them. You can’t do that in real life. It’s so frustrating. And the worst part – he’s not the only one.

7 Comments

Blogger Blake 7.12.05  

This kid has probably been brought up by racist parents. It has probably been embedded in him since childhood.

Personally, the only racist I’ve ever met was my driving instructor – he was very racist towards Muslims, I was always uncomfortable when discussion turned to the Middle East etc.

Off-topic – why is the background of the banner #FFFFFF and the main background of the page is #FBFBFB?

Blogger Sage 7.12.05  

It has probably been embedded in him since childhood.

And what I’m concerned about is that he’s going to pass on the bass ackwards tradition of hating.
:-(

…why is the background of the banner #FFFFFF and the main background of the page is #FBFBFB?

Oops – the canvas color for the logo was #FBFBFB, but the GIF compression changed it to #FFFFFF (probably because that’s the color of the snow). I’ve fixed it now – thanks!

Blogger Blake 7.12.05  

And what I’m concerned about is that he’s going to pass on the bass ackwards tradition of hating.
:-(


Dyslexic? :-P

That’s a problem, but I guess there’s not much you can do about that. I have no idea how you could unlearn that sort of hatred…

Blogger Sage 8.12.05  

Dyslexic? :-P

You’ve never seen it written that way? It’s in the same vein as fumb duck.

Blogger Ram-Rod 10.12.05  

Hey, Sage, how did you get a custom layout like this? Stop by my blog if you are around. I just created it today. 8-)

Blogger Sage 11.12.05  

In your Blogger CP, just click on the “Template” tab, and modify the HTML and CSS from there.

Anonymous Giles Guthrie 12.12.05  

Most classification-based hatred is a relatively simple ingroup/outgroup issue. A group of which you're a member (the ingroup) is strengthened by the presence of an outgroup. Helps if it's a specific outgroup too, and those are readily supplied by differences in skin colour, creed etc.

The individual referenced in the original article would have an interesting time continuing to try to maintain and justify his antipathy toward racial outgroups if you were a member of his ingroup.

Although whether you wish to be the pioneer in this is somewhat doubtful, and probably not best advised.