’n’ Things

A seemingly random compilation of web bits

Rediscovering GT4 20.12.05

I haven’t touched my PS2 in, gawd, maybe four or five months. Just haven’t had the time.

But now that I’m on winter break, I decided to turn my PS2 on yesterday (after using a can of compressed air to get all the dust out of it), stick my GT4 disc in, and try to remember How do I play this thing?

I apparently left off in the middle of the Professional Hall GT World Championship series (the one that used to get a new thread at GTP every week or so), which was a really bad place to leave off on. I started the next race (Hong Kong), decided that even in the wonderful Audi R8 I was lacking skill to pull off anything near first place, and abandoned the series. Then I wandered off to find a place where I could regain some of my virtual racing skills, and found that I still hadn’t started the American Championship in the American Hall, so I decided Why not?

Strapped myself in a Chaparral 2J (the Sucker), found another 2J at the starting grid, took off, and I actually won – I won every race except for El Capitan Reverse, which has dramatic elevation changes that aren’t conducive to the 2J’s need to have its underside sealed to the ground. Anyway, the nice thing was knowing that I didn’t make it an unfair challenge – all of the other cars had similar horsepower figures to mine (and most were much newer, with twice as many gears), and the other 2J was always in second place (keep in mind that mine was completely stock). The 2J was awesome though; the great thing about it is that if you started to understeer in a turn, you can often just give it more gas, and the extra downforce created will give you more traction. It’s a bit counterintuitive at first, but works wonderfully.

So I’ve rediscovered the joy of GT4, that world where we all can drive cars that only insane maniacs (good insane maniacs) would otherwise drive, that world where an Oopsie! doesn’t cost you thousands of dollars and where you don’t have to talk to annoying salespeople to get a test drive.

GT4’s fun!

10 Comments

Blogger Blake 21.12.05  

I actually went the other way a few days ago. Stepping into a proper kart on a decent race track and giving it a whirl. Lots of fun, makes me wish I actually had money so I could do this sort of thing more often.

Blogger Sage 21.12.05  

That’s the other nice thing about GT4 – fifty bucks buys you a lot of goodies.
:-)

I’d love to try karting myself, but alas, the funds aren’t here either.

Blogger Blake 22.12.05  

Ahhh! I gave the 2J a whirl and it’s really quite horrible! If I had a little play with the suspension it might be fine, but I found it horrible to drive.

Did you have any driving aids on? Maybe that qould help it a bit.

Blogger Sage 23.12.05  

Yeah, I had the Oversteer assist set to 1, and the TCS set to 2; both help keep the car from going into snap-oversteer, which it has a tendency of doing.

Also, you can’t drive the 2J like you’d drive any other car. You have to avoid anything that will break the seal (like rumble strips), or slow down for things you can’t avoid (like the railroad tracks at Seattle, or the violent elevation changes at El Capitan). In the 2J, the racing line isn’t what would normally be the fastest line through a corner – it’s whatever line keeps you on level ground the most.

I used to also have one hell of a time controlling the 2J, but it seems that those four or five months off did me a lot of good.

Oh, and, also, the (general) best way to go through a corner is to brake heavily beforehand, then lay on the throttle through the corner – like I mentioned, it actually creates more downforce and thus more traction this way. Don’t enter corners at as high speeds as you would in other cars, because then you have to feather the throttle through the corner, which will give you less downforce and greater likeliness to go off-track.

Blogger Blake 23.12.05  

Hmmm, tbh I’d have though mainting speed through a corner would give more downforce – after the downforce comes from the speed, not the accelorator. ;-)

The thing that really made it horrible for me was the snap oversteer in high speed corners and, in even faster corners, the massive understeer.

Anyway, I’ll give it another go next time I fire up GT4.

Anonymous Hayden 23.12.05  

Hah, I only got 100% two weeks ago!

The other night I was invited around for an informal GT4 LAN where 3 PS2s and DFPs were set up. Having clung to my DS2 all my life boy was the DFP a lot of fun! Simulation tyres are a must!

For comparison, we raced the Motul Civic Racer Car and with the wheel it was extremely lively, however with the DS2 it was as plain as margarine. The wheel adds so much more to the game yet I can't source the funds for one, I must get a job!

Blogger Ram-Rod 23.12.05  

I was the same way. I didn't get around to playing it until today. Though I still havn't played GT4 in, gosh, 4 months now?

Blogger Sage 24.12.05  

[…] I’d have though mainting speed through a corner would give more downforce – after the downforce comes from the speed, not the accelorator.

Having trouble with spelling, Blake? :-p

Anyway, yes, you’re right in that downforce is dependent on speed – what I meant was that most people enter a corner fast, and gradually lift off the throttle through the corner, in order to regain traction for the tires (so that more tire traction can be used for cornering, keeping the car from understeering). With the 2J, it’s the total opposite though – if you start lifting off the throttle through the corner, you’ll be going at a slower speed, thus less downforce, thus you’ll actually start understeering (which you’ve noted). If you’re accelerating in a corner with the 2J though, you’ll be going at a faster and faster speed, generating more and more downforce so that you can tighten the line and not understeer.

Hah, I only got 100% two weeks ago!

I haven’t even broken 30%! :-(

Blogger Blake 27.12.05  

Bah, no Christmas post from my 5th favourite blogger. Bah!

Blogger Sage 27.12.05  

I was finishing Atlas Shrugged! Christmas just isn’t complete without a few hundred pages of Ayn Rand.