’n’ Things

A seemingly random compilation of web bits

Oh, just our luck… 6.1.06

For those of you not familiar with higher education in the U.S., when you apply to a college or university here, you also have to apply to FAFSA, which is sort of the centralized “let’s-see-how-much-financial-aid-you’ll-get” deal. You give this government thingy information about how much your parents make, taxes they’ve paid, etc., and then they figure out how much financial aid you’ll need to attend the college you’re going to.

Anyway, what they mainly do is calculate your Expected Family Contribution – that is, based on your financial stuff, how much is a reasonable amount for your family and you to contribute to a college education. This number is fixed. The theory is that no matter how much tuition costs, you should be able to afford it, since the government will help make up what your EFC won’t cover. For instance, let’s say that your EFC turns out to be $5,000, and the college you’re going to costs $20,000 to attend – in theory, the government will help make up the remaining $15,000 through grants and low-interest or subsidized loans.

Anyway, I’ve just filled out my FAFSA, and here’s the kicker: According to CollegeBoard, it costs roughly $21,000 to attend UC Davis (which holds true for just about every UC). Guess what our EFC is? $20,961.

So, I’ll be getting, what, a $40 grant? Whoo-hoo – I can buy a third of a book!

Boo.

Edit: I apologize if my babbling is more incoherent than usual. I just got my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, so I’m medicated up the whazoo right now.

6 Comments

Blogger Blake Haswell 7.1.06  

Ouch man. That really is a kick in the gut.

This is something you family can afford, isn’t it? I mean it is calculated on what the government things you should be able to afford…

I apologize if my babbling is more incoherent than usual. I just got my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, so I’m medicated up the whazoo right now.

Hey, it looks like we both had some sort of proceedure yesterday! I got an in-grown toenail operated on.

It wasn’t supposed to grow back after the first operation, but it did… this time a different doctor, who seemed to have a much more violent approach to the proceedure, assures me that it will not grow back.

God job on the medication, btw!
;-)

Blogger Sage 7.1.06  

This is something you family can afford, isn’t it? I mean it is calculated on what the government things you should be able to afford…

Yeah, I guess. It’s just that it’s such a ridiculous coincidence how close the two values are. And it’s more than half of my parents’ yearly income right now, so… By the end of four years, it’s going to nearly wipe out our savings account.

Hey, it looks like we both had some sort of proceedure yesterday! I got an in-grown toenail operated on.

Heh. :-) I need major toenail operation – all of my toenails are infected, and the nail on my right big toe has basically fallen off. Gross, but it doesn’t hurt, so there’s no point in getting anything done about it (especially after learning what I’ll have to pay for college!).

Blogger Sage 7.1.06  

How do I have over 150 profile views and you’re the only one who ever posts a comment?
:-D

Blogger Blake Haswell 8.1.06  

How do I have over 150 profile views and you’re the only one who ever posts a comment?
:-D


Why the bloody hell are you asking me? You should be asking the people who don’t comment!
:-P

Yeah, I’m looking at you Duke!

*stops with the comments*

Anonymous Anonymous 11.1.06  

I post comments! When Sage hasn't broken the code, that is (heh heh).

Means testing in the UK is ridiculous. If you have any kind of savings at all (even ones that you can't access), they count as means. Basically, the Government tries any and all methods to avoid having to actually give you any money.

Sage, it looks like you're going to have to get a part-time job in college.

Blogger Sage 11.1.06  

Yeah, I was already planning to work part-time, but now I’ll definitely have to.