’n’ Things

A seemingly random compilation of web bits

University Impressions: Irvine 14.4.06

On the 13th I visited UC Irvine.

I have to preface this by noting that UCI is kind of an odd-man-out for me, because it doesn’t actually have the major that I want (Biotechnology engineering). The closest it has Chemical engineering with a focus on Biochemical engineering, which is what I signed up for on my application.

With that in mind, I still wanted to consider going there, because they’ve offered me their Regents Scholarship, worth $9000/yr. Part of me says that I might not stay with biotech (after all, how many people change their major at least once in college?), so I should keep an open mind with Irvine.

I have to say that the architecture was really nice, with many modern and futurist buildings. And all of the staff there uses Macs.

That’s about where the good ends though.

For one, it’s too much like my high school in one respect – they have no damn shade! More importantly though, the academic aspect doesn’t seem to be anywhere near as high as San Diego’s. They took us into one lab – one lab – that had several SEMs, then proceeded to tell us that only grad students use that lab. Hello-o? This is an undergrad tour – you don’t go showing us what we can’t have! And they made it known that that was their one really nice lab.

And during the presentations, they talked more about getting a job and stuff, and said almost nothing about the school. No national rankings, no state of the art this or that, no super-duper professors, nothing. I came here to learn about the school and what advantages it’ll give me over other schools – I heard nothing of the sort.

I should also note that just getting to the presentation was a hassle. When I made a reservation online, there was no information about where to park, where to register, or where the presentation was to be held – and to make things worse, on one part of the webpage they showed the presentation starting at 11 a.m., and on another part of the same webpage they showed the presentation starting at 12:30 p.m. Stupid. So, anyway, we went there at 11 a.m., found a random parking garage ($7; San Diego was free), then went to Information to figure out where the hell to go. The nice lady couldn’t find anything on the computer’s schedule, so she called the engineering department, since they were, after all, putting on this presentation. Nobody knew – the lady who was supposed to be the head organizer said that there was a “misunderstanding”. So the Info lady told us to go to the Bren Events theatre, where an Explore UCI tour was being held. We went there, and asked someone there what to do about an engineering presentation. He told us that it was being held on the opposite side of campus. We went there, and found it, but it was already about a third through. At the end, one of the parents asked the presenter “Where is the Experience UCI engineering presentation going to be held?” – the presenter said “This is it!” At least we weren’t the only ones having issues.

As you can tell, I wasn’t impressed by Irvine at all – academically, and the lack of organization and cohesion. Very pretty architecture though, and possibly the best stretch of freeway in the world.

Coming soon after the 22nd: impressions about UC Davis.

5 Comments

Anonymous keef 16.4.06  

There's an Irvine section of UC? THe only schools I've heard of are Davis and Berkely, which said you weren't smart enough to go there. Bitches. Anyway, I would just forget about Irvine if they couldn't evn put on a good tour. Who cares of the buildings were nicely engineered; obviously they can't use them effectively.
Anyway, about your Biotech major: have you ever considered a little place called MIT? Or is that out of your league? Of course, people that go to MIT are usually pretty concrete with their career ideas.

Blogger Sage 16.4.06  

Hey, I only got rejected from Berkeley! ;-)

The UC system is very large – there are eleven campuses in all.

And if I got rejected from Berkeley, you think I could’ve gotten into MIT? Christ! Berkeley’s acceptance rate is low, yet it’s still like twice that of MIT’s.

Anonymous skip0110 17.4.06  

Forget MIT--they are a buch of stuck up stoned twats ;)

Anonymous keef 18.4.06  

Hey, you think those NASA and JPL guys went to a community college? It's those Californian Berkely-ites that are stuck up bitches.
And Sage, I knew you only got rejected from Berkely, I guess I forgot to write "the latter". Besides, I saw it on your GTP avvie.
I don't get how you could have a 4.0+ and get rejected from any college. I guess you didn't do enough community service. I used to be a ~3.5 on a 4.0 scale...until I contracted Senioritis. I'm sure you've heard of it.

Blogger Sage 19.4.06  

And Sage, I knew you only got rejected from Berkely, I guess I forgot to write "the latter".

Ah, okay. Antecedent 101. ;)

I don't get how you could have a 4.0+ and get rejected from any college. I guess you didn't do enough community service.

Probably. A lot of people make up their community service anyway, which pisses me off. It’s one thing to kinda stretch things, but it’s another to blatantly lie.

I used to be a ~3.5 on a 4.0 scale...until I contracted Senioritis. I'm sure you've heard of it.

Interestingly, senior year has kinda had the opposite effect on me – I haven’t been this good about not procrastinating since 7th grade!