’n’ Things

A seemingly random compilation of web bits

A Challenge 9.1.06

For those of you wondering what the hell has happened to the styling of this site, I’ve decided to give myself a challenge.

I have stripped the site of all extraneous code (except for the nasty stuff that Blogger automatically inserts), and not just made the code semantic, but purely semantic: there is not a single unnecessary <div>, no <span>s, not even a single id or class.

My goal is to, using just this code, design a website. That would be tricky in itself, because the lack of, for example, ids means that I can’t differentiate between the ordered lists used in my posts and the ordered lists used for site navigation. However, I’ve added another layer:So, there you go. I have no clue why I’m doing this, but I am. By the way, there’s a good chance it’ll eventually start looking way neater in Firefox (and other such browsers) than Internet Explorer, because with the standards-compliant browsers I’ll be able to use child and sibling selectors, which will allow me to, for example, style the navigation list differently than the rest of the unordered lists on the site.

This’ll take a number of weeks – I’m doing it piece by piece.

Edit: I’ve had to make one concession. Blogger totally hijacks the <body> tag, and I can’t fine a way to override it, so I’ve made a container <div> with an id equal to “body”, so that it’s a pseudo-body-tag of sorts – and I’ve even left the body selector unstyled in my CSS to show that it’s there strictly because of Blogger. So this is still “clean” as far as I’m concerned, because if I had my own server, I would just replace that one selector with the real body selector and it would all work the same.

14 Comments

Blogger Blake 11.1.06  

I’ve even left the body selector unstyled in my CSS to show that it’s there strictly because of Blogger.

body {
background: #FFFFFF;
}


Think of people without white as the default background colour!
;-)

Blogger Sage 11.1.06  

Okay, okay. ;-)

Blogger Blake 16.1.06  

That lasted a long time…
:-P

It looks much better, though. But, I have to ask, what is with the incessant makeovers?

Blogger Sage 16.1.06  

Heh heh – I was going to make a new post regarding this design, but then my dad needed the computer. Anyway, the problem was that I ran into a wall with my restrictions, because I couldn’t actually do anything else without using selectors that IE doesn’t understand (I have way too many negatives in that sentence – I’ve completely lost what I tried to say). So, I decided to scrap it and do something a little bizarre, a little outside of my comfort zone (regarding computer graphics).

“Incessant makeovers” – heh, get used to it. :-p I get bored really easily, and one of my favorite things to do when I’m bored is website design. Don’t be surprised if this design lasts less than a month.

What would really suit me is if I had like twenty websites I had to maintain for various clients, so I could redesign them at different times without being obnoxious, but barring that, I have to go nuts with this blog.
:-D

Blogger Sage 16.1.06  

BTW, is it just me, or do the purple things look like drugs? They’re supposed to be E. coli.

Blogger Blake 16.1.06  

BTW, is it just me, or do the purple things look like drugs? They’re supposed to be E. coli.

I thought it was supposed to represent your addiction to medication.

I get bored really easily, and one of my favorite things to do when I’m bored is website design.

I’m the same – but my problem is I often have no content to put into a design so they often get left as a single HTML file full of Lorem Ipsum

Anonymous HID E. OUS (Hayden) 17.1.06  

Ow, I think your blog broke my eyes.

Blogger Blake 17.1.06  

In that case, I think it’s time to celebrate.

Blogger Sage 17.1.06  

Ow, I think your blog broke my eyes.

I had one in the pipeline that I think you would’ve loved, but I decided it was boring. Good for a website I’d get paid to built (since it was totally inoffensive), but I need to experiment a little bit – I’ve never used more than a couple dominant colors in a website scheme, and I’ve rarely tried black. I just need to test what does and doesn’t work.

And trust me, I don’t like it much either – I had a hard time resolving the transition from logo to text, and I’ve failed. But I have such a high redesign rate that it doesn’t matter, since I’ll probably find a brand new face to slap on it in a week.
:-D

Anonymous Hayden 17.1.06  

I just need to test what does and doesn’t work.

It's not a matter of testing what doesn't work, it should hit you head on with your natural "that chiat really don't look that great" 6th sense-o-vision.

I mean, what's with the tardy scrapbook graphics? The montage spills a giant eyesore in the top left hand corner of the screen, the first place any Western(ish) person looks! We know drawing isn't your forte, so why make an arse of yourself in Macrodobe Fireshop?

The graphics are yucky, tucky, mucky! The general black background, orange and blue semi coordinated party is two thumbs up but everything else just looks more at home being flushed down your toilet.

With a design like this it makes me wonder, what kind of pills- I mean, E. coli. have you been taking?

Anonymous Giles Guthrie 18.1.06  

With regard to the new logo, where the right leg of the 'n' meets the ascender of the 'h' (I feel I have to specify the logo because it's existed for at least 4m48s, and will therefore probably change in the next 12s): Have you been watching Catch Me If You Can recently? The (long) opening credits sequence is full of that sort of thing.

Blogger Sage 19.1.06  

So, is Hayden happy now?
:-)

Giles: Nope! The only TV I watch is the news and Dancing With the Stars. We have five channels, so there isn’t exactly much to watch.

I just really really really like ligatures, so I like to make my own ligatures within logos (as you can see with the new one too).

Blogger Blake 19.1.06  

TBH I don’t like the ‘rainbow’ nav bar at the top of the page.

Anonymous Giles Guthrie 20.1.06  

The only TV I watch

It's a film, starring Leonardo di Caprio and Tom Hanks. It's OK for a couple of hours.

For the record, I'm not a fan of the current design at all. It reminds me of the sort of menu that you'd see in a basement pub that's desperately trying to become the latest, greatest "café bar", but which is only succeeding in serving up microwaved rat burgers in a cheap morning roll, and charging £7.50, because they claim it's actually "hand-minced Aberdeen Angus".

Hmm. Think I might have gone off on a bit of a rant there...